For over 9,000 years humans have been producing and drinking wine. Is the oldest wine cellar really at the bottom of the ocean? If so, then where exactly? What punishment did women receive who drank wine in Roman times? Find out the fascinating answers and learn much more in this collection of fun and interesting facts about wine!
1) The oldest wine cellar with bottles still undamaged is at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean inside the Titanic.
2) Wealthy Chinese drink expensive wine to display their wealth, though mix it with Coke or Sprite to make it more drinkable.
3) As you might have guessed, the French drink more wine per capita than any other country by a significant margin.
4) In the United States the top three wine consuming states are: California, New York and Florida.
5) Someone who always talks about opening a special bottle of wine, but never does, is called a “cork-tease.”
6) The oldest bottle of wine in the world dates to 325 AD. It was found in a Roman sarcophagus near the town of Speyer, Germany. You can see it at the local museum.
7) Fraudulent wine sellers were drowned in a river based on a law in The Code of Hammurabi (1800 BC).
8) The vast majority of wines are ready to drink right off the shelf. Only a very few wines will improve with time.
9) Women lack an enzyme in the stomach lining necessary to metabolize wine, thus making them more susceptible than men to the effects of wine.
10) About three pounds of grapes are required to produce one bottle of wine. That’s around six hundred grapes!
11) Roman women were not allowed to drink wine. According to Roman law, a husband could divorce or even kill his wife for drinking wine.
12) Plato argued that when a man reaches 40, he can drink as much wine as he wants to assuage the “crabbiness” of old age.
13) The father of medicine, Hippocrates, included wine in almost every one of his remedies.
14) If you have a hatred or fear of wine, then you have oenophobia.
15) Wine can boost your sex drive. According to one Italian study, women who drink at least two glasses of wine daily enjoy sex much more than those who don’t.
“The discovery of a good wine is increasingly better for mankind than the discovery of a new star.”
— Leonardo da Vinci